Roofing

I was planning on renting some staging to use for the roofing project but when I went to Taylor Rental the rates were very high, about $60/day for two sections and I knew that would make me rush the project so I could get the rental turned back in.  So instead I purchased 2 sections from Home Depot figuring I’d use them to do the roofing and later to paint the cathedral ceilings inside and then post them on CraigsList to get some of my money back.  I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than renting and I won’t need to hurry and I’ll get more use out of them.  They were about $440 for the two sections.

I also ordered the set of Outriggers that are required when stacking staging more than 1 section high.

Can’t say I was thrilled with the purchase.  The staging was OK except that two of the four horizontal braces had sections of bent metal so they wouldn’t fit around the legs of the staging.  I had to spend some time un-bending the pieces to get things to go together.

Then when attempting to put on the Outriggers I discovered that all 4 outriggers had the bolts welded on too close together to fit the holes in the staging.  So, another trip to Home Depot to return the Outriggers.  I decided to just use some 2x6s to stabilize the staging and that’s working well.  It will be more trouble when I move the staging from place to place but it saved me $80 and works fine.

Staging set-up

Staging set-up

I ran a line from end to end of the roof edge to check to see if it was perfectly straight…wasn’t.  Had about 3/8″ curve out near the middle.  So, I marked up from that line and snapped a chalk line to mark the top edge of my first course of shingles.

Then I nailed a bit of scrap wood to the edge of the roof to keep the shingles from sliding off and laid out the first course to check the landing of the two ends.  Based on what I found I didn’t need to trim much.  I did put a 2×2 scrap running up the right side of the roof to keep the shingles high where the two roof lines meet.  I will run some flashing out from under the trim piece and over the roofing when I’m done.  In the pic below you can see the verge trim piece laid in place on the left end.  These pieces will run up the gable ends trimming out the ends of the shingle runs.

Shingles laid out to test the lay at the ends

Shingles laid out to test the lay at the ends

Once I knew how much to trim I started nailing on the first run of shingles.  Prior to nailing each shingle down I glued on the closure strip.  The closure strip is a strip of foam rubber like material that is cut to the contour of the underside of the shingles.  Based on a suggestion that I got from Bill Taylor at Onduvilla I purchased a can of Loctite spray adhesive and glued the closure strip to  the bottom of the shingle.

Closure strip glued in place

Closure strip glued in place

Installation was very simple.  I just lined up the top edge of the shingle with my chalk line and put a nail through each “hump” in the shingle.  The Onduvilla nails come in the same color as the shingles and have a rubber washer just under the head.  The shingles have a bit more “give” than I expected or than the samples seemed to have.  When I was nailing on the top of the ridge for the first course I found I had to almost pinch the ridge sides to keep it from flattening out as it was nailed.

First run of roof shingles installed

First run of roof shingles installed

Subsequent runs of shingles installed much faster.  I can see that moving the staging is probably going to take up more time that actually nailing the shingles in-place.  The shingles are easily trimmed vertically with a razor knife to ensure that the joints are staggered or to trim the fit on the end.  The installation instructions recommend a 1″ gap at the peak.  The shingles are 16″ high and I needed to trim the top course down to about 8.5″.  I did that with a circular saw.

First roof section partially shingled

First roof section partially shingled

I only had the morning to work on the house today but I was pleased to have shingled so much of the first roof section.   I intentionally started on the back of the house figuring that mistakes would be less noticeable there and that I’d be an expert 🙂 by the time I get to the front.

If I get good weather later in the week I’ll have a couple of days to work and hope to get a lot done.  The only section that worries me is the front of the kitchen where the skylight is.  I’m a bit nervous about flashing and sealing that.

I had originally planned on using metal roofing until I discovered Onduvilla.  Since I end up doing everything by my self I figured handling the 16″x42″ shingles would be much easier than handling the sheets of metal roofing single handed.  My assumption is proving accurate as I installed the shingles today alone and had no issues at all.

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: